Tensions Rise as Trump Questions Iran’s Response to Military Pressure
Washington – U.S. President Donald Trump has expressed bewilderment as to why Iran has not yet yielded to mounting pressure from the United States, including a significant military buildup in the Middle East. The situation underscores escalating tensions between the two nations amid concerns over Iran’s nuclear program.
According to U.S. Envoy Steve Witkoff, Trump is “curious” about Iran’s position following warnings of a potential military strike if a deal isn’t reached regarding Tehran’s nuclear ambitions. Witkoff shared this assessment during an interview with Fox News on Saturday, February 21, 2026.
“I don’t want to use the word ‘frustrated’… because he [Trump] understands he’s got plenty of alternatives, but he’s curious as to why they haven’t… I don’t want to use the word ‘capitulated’, but why they haven’t capitulated,” Witkoff stated. He questioned why, given the substantial U.S. Naval and air presence in the region, Iran hasn’t engaged in negotiations, stating, “Why, under this sort of pressure, with the amount of sea power and naval power that we have over there, why haven’t they approach to us and said, ‘We profess that we don’t want a weapon, so here’s what we’re prepared to do?’”
The U.S. And its allies suspect Iran is moving closer to developing a nuclear weapon, a claim Iran denies. The development comes as anti-government protests have erupted at several Iranian universities, marking the largest demonstrations since a crackdown on similar protests in January.
Despite the pressure, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi indicated on Sunday, February 20, 2026, that there remains an opportunity for a diplomatic resolution. He told CBS News that negotiators are working on the details of a potential agreement, suggesting a “win-win game” is still possible. Araghchi also revealed that Tehran is preparing a draft agreement to present to Witkoff in the coming days.
Negotiations between the two countries took place earlier this week, with indirect talks held in Switzerland on Tuesday, February 17, 2026. Axios reports there is limited public debate surrounding the potential for major U.S. Military action in the region.
NPR notes that President Trump has not yet decided whether to authorize a military strike, but the current U.S. Military presence allows for a potentially prolonged bombing campaign. The president’s objectives remain somewhat ambiguous, shifting between seeking a negotiated deal on the nuclear program and potentially aiming to remove Iran’s current leadership.
The BBC reports that the U.S. Has been increasing its military presence near Iran in recent weeks. Reports indicate that Trump is puzzled by Iran’s lack of response.
The situation remains fluid, with both sides signaling a willingness to continue negotiations even as simultaneously preparing for potential escalation.