Amid speculation about the 2028 presidential election, U.S. Vice President JD Vance stated on Tuesday that there is no rivalry between himself and Secretary of State Marco Rubio, who is seen as a potential competitor for the Republican nomination. The clarification comes as both men are frequently discussed as possible successors to President Donald Trump.
“I think it’s so engaging the media wants to create this conflict where there just isn’t any conflict,” Vance said during an interview with Fox News. “Marco’s doing a great job. I’m trying to do as good of a job as I can. The president’s doing a great job. We’re going to keep on working together,” he added, referencing the relationship between the three men and President Trump.
When pressed about his own presidential ambitions, the 41-year-old Vance deflected the question with a laugh. “I asked the American people to deliver me my current job a year and six months ago… We’ll worry about a next job at some point in the future,” he said.
Rubio, 54, had previously indicated a willingness to support Vance should he run, telling Vanity Fair in December 2025, “If JD Vance runs for president, he will be our candidate and I will be one of the first to support him.”
According to the conservative newspaper The Washington Examiner, the two men may soon find themselves in the public eye together as they prepare to grab on a new role at the White House press briefing podium.
White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt announced that Vance and Rubio will both fill in for her during her upcoming maternity leave, leading the traditional briefings for the White House press corps. This could provide a visible platform for both potential candidates as they navigate the political landscape.
Donald Trump has acknowledged that the Constitution prevents him from seeking a third term in 2028, but continues to publicly address the topic from time to time. He recently described both Vance and Rubio as “fantastic.”